Thursday, October 27, 2005

Working for a living, or working for the fun of it?





Get Chitika eMiniMalls







RIGHT now, to be honest, I am doing a bit of both. However, there were times about 20 years ago when I wasn't that sure. I was at the threshold of my career then. It wasn't really getting up every morning and smelling the roses, if you know what I mean.
The years stretched into decades and before I knew it, they called me "one of the veterans" in the office. It is not as if I have taken part in the Vietnam War or anything like that.
But the younger set are always like that. They seem to think that anyone pass the age of 40 is sliding downhill - fast! It has been my favourite habit to tell anyone who want to listen that some of the greatest works were done by people in their 60s and beyond. There you go!
In fact, it's 5.31pm on my side of the world right now. I have officially finished work about two hours ago. But I linger around to "tie up the loose ends". Work also entails other duties.
Anyway, when life is good, one shouldn't pass a careless remark that "it's boring." Next thing you know, you will be snowed under a mountain of paper work.
Work has become a bit of a passion for me. It's meeting friends, exchanging ideas of how to "make big bucks". I know it's rather presumptious of us but no harm in dreaming big. Frankly, I think we can make it.
If Bill Gates had not entertained his early ambitions of wiring up the world, he could be working at McDonald's right now. Perhaps he would even be a manager of a McDonald's outlet.
See, what happens when you let your mind roam the "outer limits".
I urge myself on a daily basis not to be confined by the limitations imposed by my own imagined inadequacies. The skies the limit. We won't even want to think of the bottom. Nothing is the bottom. We are shooting for the sky. Hell, we are shooting for the heavens.
It used to be "oh dear, I'm working tomorrow. Boo. Boo."
Nowadays, it's "what's work? I am having a great time. It's not work anymore. It's a hobby and a passion." That's when the fun begins.
When you mix enthusiasm with practicality, and spice it up with ambitious plans and a whole lot of unbridled diligence, magic can take place. I have seen it happen to others. I told my close friend that if we can dream it, we can achieve it.
When I have done it, you who are reading this, will be the first to know.

No comments: