Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Who took some of my marbles?




Get Chitika eMiniMalls



EVER LOST your marbles? Not literally, but figuratively. Yes, there are some times in every one of our lives when we did lose our marbles.
"Oh, he's losing it, or you're losing it, man!" You hear these phrases some of the time. Frankly, I don't know why people think that it's such a big deal to lose your marbles.
I mean it in the sanity sense. We all lose our cool occasionally. Our composure is not iron-clad. As individuals, we can be a little "hot under the collar" about certain things which are personal in nature.
One of my "back-to-sanity" techniques is to readily admit that I have indeed lost some of my marbles but I will eventually retrieve them. I told people losing marbles is not a bad thing because sometimes an individual need to lose himself before he can find his bearings again.
Life is about finding something precious. Very often, we are surrounded by precious, valuable people but we don't realise it or don't give it a second thought until we have lost it or are going to lose it.
So in a way, losing something is a lesson in life. How sad it is to witness an individual who never "loses his marbles". A person like that is almost Vulcanic. Can you imagine how irritating a person like Spock is?
Almost all of us are not perfect. That's why we are on earth to straighten "matters out". Human existence points to one long session of coming to terms with what are limitations are and how we can forge ahead despite all these limitations.
Different things happen to different folks so that each experience is built according to his or her needs. If you need to learn that money isn't the be-all of all human existence, you may have lots of money initially but later you will lost it all, so that you can see life beyond money. It could be a lesson to teach you to appreciate the other finer, intangible things in life.
So don't panic should you "lose your marbles". It is but a phase in this lifelong journey. Revel in it. Have a good laugh. Sleep over it but don't lose sleep over it.
Now that I am in my more mature years, I am not afraid of being accused of losing my marbles. I laugh at such a description should it come my way. I have lost my marbles in more ways and days than I can count, and I am still around. I still get a big kick out of life.
The ride is always great if you don't have unexpectedly, ridiculously grand expectations. Life is not only about making money. It is also about losing your marbles.
Lose some, win some.

No comments: