Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Climb every mountain, cross every stream, walk every byway, till you find your dream!


Get Chitika eMiniMalls



That line comes from a song sang by the Mother Superior in the movie Sound of Music. I have lost track of that song for decades until recently when I heard strains of it again from a staged play.
Now that I am in phase three of my life, this song has a much deeper meaning for me than when I first heard it in my teens.
Of course, I did not literally climbed every mountain, or cross every stream. What I did during those growing-up years was to take some risks here and there. And when I get all fired up, I moved a little faster and pounded the pavement a little harder than usual.
All in all, life had been a blast so far. Yes, I admit sometimes it has been a bit of a whimper than an explosion. That's what's called vicissitudes of life.
Still, I am pursuing my dream. A dream of having the freedom to do anything I want on a daily basis. I dream of a time in the not-too-distant future when I don't have to adhere to office regulations because I can set my own rules.
I desire to get up anytime I want to; I seek to buy anything I want but not too excessive; I look forward to a time when I can share my wealth with those who deserve a helping hand, or who really need a helping hand, and I hold on to my dream of being one with the universe. The last one can be a bit dicey because I am not "really operating on that level yet".
I know it begins with a dream. The idea is to hold on to it and don't give up. That sounds simple enough but the majority of us tend to give up even before we can begin.
The masters have advised those who seek to fulfil their dreams to keep working at it, even if the journey seems long and tiresome. Focus on the destination and don't lose sight of the scenery. I have been told this more than once.
Yes, it's true, the scenery along the journey has been proven to be as beautiful as it can get. We should enjoy our trip, because once you have arrived at your destination, you will have to make new plans. Otherwise, it can get a bit boring.
I am surprised that sometimes the wisest answers come not from a bare-chested old chap sitting on a boulder on top of a mountain but from some familiar songs which I have heard many times before, except that this time, I paid attention to its lyrics.
The message has always been there, except I have not heard it. I guess I was too busy walking up the wrong avenue.

No comments: