Thursday, October 06, 2005

Sleep - life's most pleasurable final frontier



Get Chitika eMiniMalls


I THINK sleep is under-rated. Some people actually think sleeping is a waste of time. By the time we die, experts say, we would have slept away one-third of our lives.
To these people I say, "so what?! I get a lot of rest out of this "senseless" one-third. Personally, sleep has been a most productive arena for me. From my thousands of hours of sleep, I have gained so much.
For those who understand the active playground of the human subconscious, sleep can be the solver of all human problems. There have been times in my life when I couldn't find a solution to certain personal problems. Out of desperation and probably tiredness as well, I go to sleep.
More often than not, I woke up later on with a solution that came from the most unexpected sources. I attributed a lot of these "breakthroughs" to these unconscious moments when I was gallivanting in the playfields of my mind.
Notice how long babies sleep? Notice that babies are always happy. Anyway, I guess I am lucky I always come across happy, laughing babies. I believe sleep is a great de-stressor. When the mind is troubled, followed by a tired body, the chief physical symptom is a craving to hit the sack.
Sleep is one of life's safety valves. It puts a person on a recovery mode, much like a computer when it goes into a loop. As unconsciousness seeps in, the body and mind go into reverse gear and finds a solution to life's troubling situations.
Of course, answers and solutions are not found all the time but they do come occasionally. Scientists are only beginning to find out recently that if a person sends a mental command to himself to find a solution to what seems like an intractable problem, the mind activates its own built-in mechanism to seek out the best possible answer.
I believe this technique is called image streaming. Genuises are known to use this method, even though most of them don't have a label on it. Albert Einstein says the human imagination is much more superior to the brain. I believe that was how he came up with the theory of relativity, and this theory revolutionised the world for the next 100 years.
Sleep is the best antidote for every life-form found on earth. Insects and animals sleep. If sleep has got no advantages then it wouldn't be created in all our bodies, whether human or animal.
It serves a purpose but more than what we think it is for. One day in the future, hopefully not too far in the future, man will discover the real purpose of sleep. And it's not just rest for these tired, old bones of ours.
Sleep on this one and tell me what you think.

No comments: