Monday, October 03, 2005

The other side of midnight




WHEN darkness falls....... No, I do not put on my cape and fly out to protect the city. I think one guy by the name of Bruce Wayne doing that is more than enough.
Seriously though, all my five senses heighten as the hours draw nearer to the midnight hour. I am what some people called "a night person". Ever since I can remember, I have always been extra alert in the hours of the night.
To say that I am a nocturnal creature would be stretching the truth a little. Some researchers, that include scientists, have found out that for every individual, there are periods in a day or night when he is more productive or his brain reaches that optimum level.
The Chinese say that the time of your birth is a factor that influences your adult years. It means if you are born in the morning, you will be "fresh and robust" in the day time. If you are born at night, you become as alert as a tiger moving through the jungle looking for its prey.
The idea is to find out which are the times when your cerebrum hits its natural peak. For me, as I found out during my student days that while others are preparing to retire for the night, the solitude and serenity that come with the restful land brings fresh impetus to my entire being.
Being productive in the night has its advantages. For one thing, there's nobody to interrupt me. I am flying solo, so to speak and loving every minute of it. There's something to be said about a person all alone with this thoughts, without any worries, goes on an overdrive to do the thing he wants.
My personal observation on this matter is that when most of the world shuts down, there are fewer awkward movements and unnecessary distractions. There is a total shutdown of outside influences. My entire being becomes as focused as a laser beam. I begin to see things more clearly. My thoughts are sharper and my senses on a hyper-drive.
In a matter of two to three hours, I normally produce more useful work than 10 hours of slogging away during daylight.
Sportsmen like to talk about "being in the zone". I guess that's about describes my situation at times. Of course, I don't achieve this level all the time but at least half the time, I am there. There is no scientific explanation for it.
My biorhythm stabilises and goes on an even keel. It's like a boat out there alone in the open sea, with nothing in between except the calm waters and the stars above.
I have strolled thousands of miles on the other side of midnight and I return each time fresh and at peace with myself. Happy the man who knows his productive times and takes full advantage of them.
We are all creatures which are influenced to some extent by external forces working in tandem with our inner energies. If we are able to muster our inner strength and bring them in alignment with the external forces, we will gain much and lose nothing.
Perhaps one day in the distant future, such a human phenomenon will no longer be seen as bizzare. For the time being, homo sapiens are generally not aware of such advantages surrounding their existence.
Those who know of this are inventors, geniuses in their own fields, composers of music and masterminds of the games they play.
There is nothing very secret of enhancing your own natural gifts. All you need to do is recognise where they are coming from, where they are at right now, and put them to use to your greatest advantage.

No comments: