Sunday, October 16, 2005

The Wind and the rain on my face




Get Chitika eMiniMalls







THIS morning when I was on my way to office, it rained rather heavily. I wore my raincoat and my crash helmet has a visor.
Still, the rain drops came crashing into my face and hands. The wind was thrilling and cold at the same time. Nature wasn't being mean. It was just doing its thing.
Strange as it may sound, but I really enjoy riding in the rain with the cool, rushing wind as its companion. Ask any biker who has experienced this and they will tell you that there are certain things in life that defy explanation. And riding in the rain is one of them.
I have ridden my bike for about 30 years, I still haven't got tired of it yet. On the bike when the going is smooth, there are Zen-like moments when it's just you, the purring of the bike's engine and your thoughts.
Time slows to a crawl even as the wheels glide across the highways and byways. Your thoughts travel at the speed of light. Your mind goes on auto and the bike has a life of its own. Even when the traffic is heavy, your consciousness goes into auto mode. There is never ever any real danger of getting into trouble.
I love riding my bike. It helps me to relax. I get to catch scenes that motorists in their vehicles are blind to. I see little children holding on to their mothers' hands and it makes me think of my own who has died a long time ago.
I catch glimpses of people's behaviour while they are driving and it gives me an indication of what kind of person they are, or how they may view life.
If you don't enjoy riding motorcycles then you are missing a lot. If you are like me, then you will understand what I am trying to say.
Life is too short to be chauffeured around. Of course, being driven around in a fancy car is thrilling but communicating with nature via the rain, sunshine and wind is an experience that is privileged for the chosen few.
It is not given to all that this experience be thrust on them. Bikers know what it is like. When they are older or retired, the memories of riding fast, riding smooth and lost in one's own thoughts are like jewels glittering in the twilight.
Magnificent, joyous, transcendental - all these moments caught along the highway of life.

No comments: