Thursday, October 06, 2005

Bad luck - what's that? Knock on wood!




I AM putting the final touches to my latest personal philosophy on the notion of bad luck. First and foremost, I wish to declare that there's no such thing as bad luck.
Bad luck does not fall on anybody...things do happen to individuals. Nothing personal, you know.
There are some people who are always cursing their fate or putting bad careers and unhappy personal experiences on bad luck. I subscribe to the belief that all things happen for a reason.
It is not my wish or inclination or in my limited wisdom to expound on those "reasons". Suffice to say, those events that take place in all our lives have a reason for happening.
Have you ever come across a person who gets into an accident, breaks his leg and says "Oh, broke my leg! Must be for a good reason!" Or, another guy saying, "my house was burnt down last night. I think that's a good reason as any to move away from the present neighbourhood."
Few people actually say things like that. And if they do, they will be candidates for a swift visit to the doctor for psychiatric evaluation.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if most of us take all those unpleasant things that happen to you in our stride. There's something to be said about not getting too worked up over them.
There have been occasions when I tell colleagues, "bad luck - there's no such thing!" I almost never fail to come up with my famous, and sometimes irritating line, "one door closes, two more open."
There were a few instances when I was almost on the receiving end of a tight slap. If you have lived as long as I have, you tend to look at life and all its related activities as things that happen for your own sake.
The thing is to look at it from a positive manner. Now you are asking, how do you interpret a personal tragedy? What if a really unhappy incident takes place?
Well, the pain will go away in time. Grief is part of our lives but you are not supposed to hold on to it like a nice, comfy pillow. It will suck the life out of you.
Pain is a way of reminding us that we need to get over it and overcome some aspects of our lives that need correcting.
So next time, if a flower pot falls from the window latch and falls on your toes. Ouch if you must but first clean up the wound, apply the correct medicine, take a day off and watch TV. I think life could be telling you to take a rest. You have been too hard on yourself.

No comments: