Monday, August 01, 2005

Music doth soothe the heart of this savage beast




I FIRST learned to appreciate music when my dad played his old favourites over our family gramophone back in the early 60s. My dad, even though, he didn't have had a fine education was quite discerning in his choice of music.
Among his favourites were Chet Atkins, Nat King Cole, Johnny Horton, Peggy Lee, The Platters, Petula Clark, Perry Como, Bing Crosby and Jim Reeves.
So in a way, I was influenced by my father's taste in music. Now years after his passing, I find the music and songs I first heard when I was a little boy, rather appealing.
I have often asked myself: "Am I influenced greatly by what I heard in those early years?" I guess it's no use denying that years of listening to dad's musical favourites have been internalised by me.
Generally however, I do love music. I believe good music no matter who are their origins will transcend racial barriers and cultural divide. I have heard and learnt to love Malay songs and Hindi tunes. Some are obviously more superior than many of those in my own mother tongue.
The human ear is a wonderful biological creation. It knows good music even if the brain does not understand its lyrics. Good music and songs have a way to cross over to "the other side". I have hear native songs that have moved my heart and soul.
For example, once I heard the haunting music that floated through the halls and corridors of a major shopping complex near my home. On closer examination, I found out that the music came from a trio who were Inca Indians from South America. Their music, probably culled from centuries of tradition and cultural practices, had a special appeal that it drew crowds to where they stood and played.
There was a mystical quality that transcends all understand and yet pulled all races together like a colourful thread on a common fabric. I was astounded and amazed by the strange, lovely tunes that emanate from their hand-made instruments.
Babies have been known to have calmer disposition if classical tunes are played near their cribs. I tried that when my son was six months ago till he was a few years. I believe today his present quiet disposition could be the result of my little experiment.
I love music, all kinds of music. In my drawers which are filled with CDs and cassettes, I have Italian, French, Indonesian, Hindi, South American as well as German music. At certain times in my life, I would extract a few of these CDs and spice up my mornings and evenings with these wonderful tunes.
When a person is feeling rather depressed or even angry, a good dose of music can de-stress the very fibre of his being. Like the old bard says, "music soothes the heart of the savage beast". This line was true 500 years ago, it is still true today.
The fact that the music industry churns out so many albums and tunes and is a multi-billion dollar business is testimony that music was created by man to remind himself that his race comes from a higher order. One that can appreciate good music and therefore he is worthy of praise and salvation.

No comments: