Thursday, August 04, 2005

Fear Is Just A Four-Letter Word




FEAR - the emotion that has played such an incredible role in shaping the lives of human beings and human history that it is probably the most powerful force after love.
Can you imagine how much of a grip fear has on you since the day you were born? There have been times when you were so frightened that you were practically hiding in the closet of your own room rather than face that "thing" that struck fear in you.
Probably as a result of that pervasive feeling, you have been unable to venture further in that particular field. Just for a moment, think what if you had actually overcome that hurdle, that you conquered that fear and gone on ahead to bigger and brighter things.
The achievements you would have scored could have been stupendous. I am a familiar guest in the House of Fear for decades. That disease called Fear stalked me for years and years. There were so many things I could have done but didn't - all because Fear whispered in my ear, more than once, NOT to do it.
Today, on looking back, I feel a tinge of regret. I really want to spit in the eye of Fear. I know now that Fear was created by me on the quicksand. The more I struggled against Fear the deeper I sank.
So years ago, I decided to mount a campaign where I would fight Fear everytime it rears its head. The fight has been bitter at times but I am happy to report that I have gained an advantage through numerous battles. I have given Fear a bloody nose.
Years ago, I would not be caught speaking in public but one day, not so long ago, I thought it might be a fun thing to talk to a bunch of strangers and got paid for it.
A friend of mine ran courses for profit and he needed someone with my background. When I was approached, I name a high figure, hoping that he would turn me down. To my surprise, he didn't and I got what I wanted. Then, I knew there was no turning back.
At the hall where I was due to conduct a course, I deliberately faced Fear in the face. I went up to the participants and introduced myself to them. It was one of those no-turning-back acts. I found that I liked that kind of interpersonal communication.
Consequently, the workshop was a success. It soon led to another and then another. Before I knew it, I had done about six of such workshops. Since then, I have been able to speak quite confidently in front of others, regardless of the numbers.
One of the best compliments I have ever received was from a master trainer who conducted a workshop in which I participated. One of the modules of the workshop required that each participant is required to speak in front of an audience. When it came to my turn, I did my bit. When I had finished, the trainer came up to me and said: "I believe you have done this before. I see this in your gait and your presentation."
It was then, I knew I had defeated Fear once again, and I will continue to beat him every time he showed his face at my door. Fear has become a stranger to me.
It is such a joy to live without Fear overlooking your shoulders all the time. We fear to tell our boss what we think.
We are afraid that he will belittle us or reject our suggestions to improve workflow in our area of work. We fear that office colleagues will make fun of us. I tell you now, nothing is ever considered stupid or silly if you are sincere about it. People can see it in your eyes. It will be seen in the tone of your voice. It can be gauged from the manner in which you delivered your point of view.
Fear has crippled the lives of so many good people on earth. There are plenty of people who could have been successful at so many things but are shot down by their own selves. And Fear was their personal consultant. Please sack this useless employee from your service if you want to be free from all encumbrances.
You are born free from all things which are obstacles to being a successful human beings. Fear is one of the most undesirable things that you can ever invite into your life.
Do it NOW!

No comments: