Saturday, September 24, 2005

Why I love flea markets




In a couple of minutes' time, I will be visiting one of my favourites flea markets near my neighbourhood. I simply love flea markets, not because I love collecting old, valueless items but I love the people and the stories they have to tell behind every item they put on sale.
I have been to quite a number of flea markets in my lifetime. In my countless visits, I have made a number of friends. These guys are jovial chaps. They love some of the stuff they sell. Yes, they are trying to make a few bucks in the process but that's their joy and probably their hobby, too.
I have found a few "treasures" in the flea market. For example, several weeks ago, I came across a young man who was selling his massive collection of stitched and sewn badges. At a dollar each, they were certainly a bargain.
I bought about 20 from him. I believe he was probably a scout in his younger days because I spotted a number of Scout-related badges in his collection. I guess he studied in the United States too because he had all these "Wyoming, Arkansas, Yellow Stone Park and Anchorage" badges that were really colourful.
I love buying books from flea market vendors. They are usually dirt cheap and sometimes I come across some collector's items. Not so long ago, I came across two England's Folio Society books. These are not sold outside the society and only to Folio Society members. They come in a hardcase and are usually printed in acid-free page.
I got them for almost a song. What a thrill it was for me. Some of the best and most well organised flea markets are found in London. I was there many years ago and the flea markets there were absolutely mind-boggling. The people selling their family "heirlooms" and other stuff were very nice people.
Being a foreigner in England and browsing through the flea market stalls can be an educational experience. It taught me a lot about people and the lives they led. It sort of open my eyes to things I have not experienced before.
So here I go again. Wish me luck. I have yet to hit the Mother Lode, so to speak. That means finding an item which is especially special to me. It doesn't have to be of great value, just special.
Have a great Sunday yourself.

No comments: