Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Old fashioned way of writing letters




I AM sure there are still lots of people writing letters the old fashioned way, meaning using pen and paper. Even though the Internet is having a massive intrusive effect on our present line of communication, the "old way" of pen and paper has its own charm.
I miss that old world style of communication. There used to be a time when "talking" to relatives staying far away means taking out a clean sheet of paper and using your most legible writing to pen one's thoughts.
I used to write to friends in faraway regions in the early part of my life. Not so long ago, my wife showed me several boxes of letters which I once had written to her before we were married. It was most complimentary of her.
If you were to ask any 60-year-old whether they treasure those written letters eons ago, I am sure you will know the answer before it is said.
Writing letters is an art. It tends to make us feel on guard. Sometimes, it is like a river of torrential words. Occasionally, it is a like thunderstorm -- words hitting ground with great force. In whatever manner they are delivered, the message is permanent. That is why your lawyer is always you NOT to put in writing what you may regret in future.
Some of the letters of finest thoughts are treated like national treasures these days. Letters written by Abraham Lincoln, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Edison, etc. Can you imagine in modern times, any of the great letters being cherished or treasured. If they are communicated through the Internet, the recipient will be hard put to prove its authenticity.
If the message or letter is written, a graphologists can prove beyond the shadow of a doubt, the person who had written it. On computers over the Internet, proof will be hard to come by.
That is why, I strong recommend that if you want to communicate your most precious thoughts to someone whom you hold most dear, then do it in writing so that in decades past, she or he may have the presence of mind to keep the letters you have written as reminders of the feelings that cannot be destroyed.
I still do write the old fashioned way sometimes and when I do, I take out one of my better fountain pens to add that dash of flamboyance to dutifully impress the other side. I realise this borders on the weaker side of vanity but what do I care, I just love to write and would be immensely happy if the other side understands the length I have gone through to pen my thoughts of that moment and imprinted them for posterity.
So write with pen and paper whenever you feel like it, especially if you are far away from home. Writing to your parents is like telling them in your presence how much you miss them. Even if you don't really say those words, they can always take out your letter and re-read them time and again.
Can you imagine the trouble your old folks will have to go through to boot up the computer, look into the files and retrieve your email? There's nothing like a simple handwritten letter, kept in a box in the drawer of a dressing table. It has the charm whose fragrance lingers long after the message has been digested.
It is something that people who care about others, and are sensitive to their needs know about.

No comments: