Sunday, September 18, 2005

Thank God for the good people




I AM a great follower of world news whether on CNN, NBC, BBC or CCTV. Now and again, I witness amazing feats of kindness and selflessness that make me feel that I have done enough in my own little way.
I see members of the Medicin sans frontieres in foreign lands administering medicine and aid in whatever possible. I catch video clips of members of the International Red Cross feeding the farmished in Sudan, and other famine-stricken regions. I witness American marines disembarked from their choppers from USS Abraham Lincoln, giving food parcels to people in Aceh.
All these and more are a humbling experience. It gives me great joy to know that there are in abundance good people from all over the world. Recently, I saw clips of South Koreans collecting money in their own cities for the victims of the New Orleans disaster.
Good people come in all colours, creeds and religion. No race has a monopoly on compassion and generosity. Everytime, a catastrophe takes place in some faraway part in the globe, strangers from other lands assemble to organise events to collect either cash aid or assistance in other forms for victims whom they do not know.
The world is full of such people. For me, every single one of these people who help are living lessons that I too can do something, no matter how small. The people who do such acts, do so without any forethought of reward, or publicity. They do so because it is the right thing to do.
I believe kindness and love are intangible gifts that can't be given away because a long time ago, someone told me that these gifts will always be returned. How true it is, too.
The world bears witness in recent years as to the ferocity and unpredictability of the climactic conditions. Many nations are beginning to bear the brunt of what were considered an impossibility in the distant past. But now, the weather is changing for the worse; the polar caps are melting at an alarming rate and the ocean levels are rising rapidly. Soon, the results of such unnatural phenomenon will be felt in no small way across the globe.
But what will stand against all these forthcoming challenges will be the human spirit. The good people of the world, from America to China, will stand together, link their hearts and hands together and prop Mother Earth back on her feet.
In the coming times, nations will be in dire need of help. But I am confident there are masses of good people waiting to come to the rescue. I see America in the forefront of such goodness, and in turn America will get aid from the rest of the world.
Only together we can overcome. History has got many lessons but mankind has not taken cognizance of many of its chapters. The future however will be a level playing field for all of us. I think we know what to do. I have seen the goodness that prevail over desperation.
The armies of good people come from all lands, from all communities and from all colours and ages. With this in mind, there is hope for all of us.

No comments: