Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Winston Spencer Churchill




CHURCHILL is one of those kind of characters who emerged in the pages of history about one every two hundred years. His life is as interesting as any good Hollywood movie.
Churchill himself believed he had a date with destiny and he felt it very strongly when he was called upon to be Britain's Prime Minister when Britain declared war on Germany at the beginning of the World War II.
His early years in South Africa prepared him for a more demanding role in life about 30 years later. Churchill was incarcerated and then he escaped, the subject of which was chronicled into a book which became a best seller in Churchill's lifetime.
The Man of Half Century (Time magazine) has been described as the Last Lion of the British Empire. He has also been described as the man who marshalled the English language and led it to war.
Today, we know of Churchill's exploits in World War II and the stirring speeches he made that roused the entire English nation and fought like a lion with all its ferocity.
Churchill's stirring words at the height of the war still strikes a chord in me today: "Britain will fight on for years, and if necessary, alone!"
I have yet to read Churchill's famous six volumes on World War II. It is a master piece on the war. Only Churchill could have written it the way he saw it.
My Early Years was Churchill's book which initially triggered my interest in the great statesman. I am glad I came across Churchill because in some ways, his words and his speeches have brought positive changes to my life.
Everyman must have a role model. I have several. Churchill just happened to be one of my finest role models. Churchill's bulldog tenacity and his determination have been guideposts for much of my adult life.
Till today, Britons still recognised that Churchill had been one of their finest Prime Ministers in the English history.

No comments: