Thursday, April 28, 2005

Call your mom or dad, for heaven's sake




MANY adults never really miss their parents until they passed away suddenly. This happens when you are living far away from them and you hardly phone home.
When your mom and dad are no longer on earth, you sometimes think of them and wish you had been a better son or daughter. There will come a time when you miss their company.
There may even be times when you reflect on those early years when you were still a kid and they worry about you incessantly. Now that you are a working adult and perhaps even a parent yourself, you suddenly realise how you had been a better child to them.
So my timely advice to the reader is: please phone home. Surprise your mom or dad, or both with your cheeful disposition. And tell them, you are coming home for a while, just for the fun of it.
I have now a significant number of decades to my name and in some ways I miss my parents. I lived for many years away from home after I graduated from the university. I went to the city to work and stay.
I hardly called home and I thought my parents wouldn't really miss me since there are five siblings in the family.
By the time, I realised that I should have done this or that, my mom had suffered a massive stroke and she was no longer her usual self. She could hardly recognise me. Her cheerfulness had faded with the memories she lost.
One night I cried in silence for all the times I had not been with her when she was at our old home; for all the times I had not called home; for all the times when I had not cheered her up; for all the times when she had complained about something and I had not listened attentively and for all the times when I should have shown her I loved her as a son should.
So now I am passing on an advice which I didn't adopt and practise. I do this in the hope that someone will hear me and lift the spirits of their mom and dad.
One day, if you are fortunate enough you will be a dad or a mom. You may be lucky enough to have children. And if you are really nice to them or have brought them up well, they will call you constantly and showered you with their love in so many ways.
This is why God created children and make these children parents later on in life so that life's lessons will be beautifully learnt and cherished.
And so the link between heaven and earth will remain strong forevermore.

No comments: