Thursday, June 01, 2006

Losing track of time

According to my el-cheapo but reliable watch, it is now 3.50pm. I believe it is fast by one or two minutes but it's all right, I can live with that.
I have been in the office since 10am. The hours have flown swiftly past without me realising too much of the "lost" time. Anyway, life slips by you pretty quickly if you are busy doing your daily chores.
My daily routine comprises running around having tea breaks, lunch and chit-chat sessions with office colleagues. If I have the time, I will sit down and do some work for the organisation. Kidding!
Anyway, I told someone the other day that I was slightly surprised that it was June already. I could still recall Christmas celebrations with great clarity. Has it been six months since? Where has it all gone to?
As I have always maintained, Time is just a figment of man's imagination. Time was originally created to bring some semblance of order to man's life. Time or the watch or clock was invented and designed so that a person's life and work can be organised in the most intelligent manner conceivable.
There is such a thing as "losing track of time". Such a situation arises when an individual is too busy doing something else. It means that you are so engrossed in performing the "now" activities that you completely forgot to look at your watch and thus forgotten you are operating in your own time zone.
A person who knows about the value of time and also knows how to purposely "lose" time is the captain of his own fate. In other words, time has got no hold on you because you choose whether to recognise its importance or not take note of it to your own advantage.
Time, at the end of the day, can be an ally or a foe. It depends on how you use it. Having said all that, I have to admit I love wearing watches. It just helps me to organise my tasks which I set for myself throughout the day. Then, on the other hand, I also ignore my watch when the occasion calls for it.
There is really no point being "tied to time" when losing track of it will be to your greatest advantage.
Remember where all of us will end up eventually, time does not reign. So now you understand its overstated significance.

No comments: