Sunday, June 18, 2006

Remembering my father on Father's Day

My father died about nine years ago. He had led an interesting life, even though there were hard times for him as well as for us, his children. However, God has always been with us, and we survived and became stronger.

Now that I too am a father, I recall what all fathers may sometimes care to remember, that my children, our children, will walk down the same path all fathers will walk down.

It is not a difficult road if you don't make such a big deal out of it. It is easiest to travel when your heart is full of joy and you perform your fatherly duties out of love more than anything else.

I have been a father for about 25 years. It wasn't really difficult, I can now admit. In fact, it has been rather pleasant because I never consider it a chore. I took it in stride.

All of us men will one day be a father with the exception of a few who choose not to be fathers themselves. But it is a marvellous role - to be a father. Your children will make it all worthwhile.

There's nothing like having your offsprings remembering you in their own special ways. Life is like that. You teach them and at the same time you learn from them. One of the secrets of wonderful living,you learn as you teach.

There is no exception. Living and learning is a dual highway. It transcends all ages and make exceptions for none.

Today's Father's Day will be celebrated in a way by all fathers who have brought up their children to be better than themselves. It is a hope that I harbour, that my children will live their own lives beautifully and magnificently.

If I can help them to move faster along that road, so much the better. If not, may other experiences help to shape their character for the better. Being a man and then a father is a privilege. It took me a long time to realise that.

Now that I understand its message, the children become special to me, just as I am precious to them.

A Happy Father's Day to all fathers who are reading this.

No comments: