Friday, February 17, 2006

The Day After I Retire

FEW of us actually think of the days after we retire. The normal age for retirement around the world is 55. In more developed nations, the retirement age has been pushed up to 60. In other nations where the experience and contribution of the senior citizens are considered important, the retirement age is now 65.
But that is not what I want to talk about today. When a person retires, whether of his own free will, or whether it has been imposed on him by his organisation, his life takes on a different meaning.
I have a friend who is now about 65. He has been thinking of what he would do from the day he first started working at the age of about 19. He told me that his father gave him this advice: "Son, you should start thinking what you want to do the day you begin your first day of work."
Being an obedient son, he did just that. When he retired at the age of 55 from the same organisation I am working in, he was off to a flying start. He is constantly on the move. He is busy with his own projects because he has planned them about 40 years ago.
Today, he has not time to ponder over his future because he is already living it. Being his friend, I have learnt from his example except that I haven't been planning on what I should do after I retire.
Now, on the threshold of my "easy years", I look ahead and see infinite possibilities. Can a man run out of ideas of what he should or could do with his life after 55 or 65? Truthfully, I think not.
But like all human beings, we have a tendency to pick the easy way out. We want ot put our feet up and take a breather. The trouble is our "breather" can last anything from six months to the rest of our mortal life.
Relaxation is just another word of chickening out. The people who die with a smile on their face are usually the ones who are too busy with their daily lives to be contemplating on life ever after.
For me, I plan to write at least two books; go fishing at all my favourite spots and travel to at least three countries. If I plan it out well, I should be able to spend the next 20 years in an extremely happy mood. My wife is also keen to share my dreams.
Everything good begins with a dream. First, there must be a desire. Then, there has to be a commitment and finally, make a move to make it all come true. Many ordinary working people say "I will do this when I retire and have the time." This remark is so common, that it is no longer interesting or funny.
"After I retire" has become a bad phrase. Why wait till you retire. Why not do it soon, or better still, do it now? A lot of colleagues of mine have professed to do this and that, and then unexpectedly they die. Death is not shocking but it tends to spoil your plans.
We are all living from day to day because there exist circumstances that are beyond our control. I am already living part of my retirement plan. I just returned from venturing to a place that I have talked about but have never been. Well, now I can tell you that I have tasted the nectar from the tree of life.
The result is amazing. I feel better, even happy with myself that I have been there, seen it, done it!! I can now add that to my list of things to do. The people who are happiest with their current circumstances are those who act upon their dreams and dream of matters they will experience.
We constantly advise our friends and family members on what to do with their lives but we also frequently forget to follow our own advice. When we are asked about this, our standard reply is "Wait till the time is right." Ladies and gentlemen, please allow me to tell you that there's no "right time". Anytime that you decide to do something is the right time.
One of my most irritating pieces of advice to myself is "I will read this book or that book when I have plenty of time". Consequently over the decades I have neglected to read some of the most beautiful books ever written. My private library has thousands of books. At least one-third of them have been left untouched by me.
But I have since begun to resolve this matter. The last couple of years have seen me digesting the contents of some of my favourite books. Each time I finish one, I will jot the title down as a reminder that I have taken another step in an adventure that I can call my very own.
I have begun to spend some hard earned money on some much desire stuff. Buddha has advised all his devotees that we do not place too much importance on impermanent things. How right he was. But as life is, we are in constant need of amusements.
Amuse yourself but don't be obsessed by it. I am still continuing on my journey and it has been proven to be quite exciting so far.

No comments: