Thursday, July 28, 2005

D.I.Y. - Doing It Yourself




TODAY, I discover something interesting about myself. I am a small time handyman around the house but that leaking tap in my kitchen has stumped me for several years.
For some time now, it has been leaking despite my best efforts. I have called a plumber but he was so busy that he turned up once to assess the situation and promptly concluded that the job was so uncomplicated that it was beneath him.
Meanwhile, my wife has been complaining her kitchen chores have been aggravated by the unusable sink because of the leaks and that faulty tap.
Well, I finally got mad enough today to come to the conclusion that I will fix the whole thing myself. So I went to the neighbourhood DIY shop to scout for a replacement. The whole tap fittings cost me a cool $107.
It was the latest super duper tap. There was a similar set which resembles the old one which costs only $56 but I thought since it was going to be a major project on my part, I might as well buy the best.
I returned home filled with supreme confidence that I could do the entire thing. In fact, I was so sure that I told my wife that I am 95 per cent sure I can "conquer" this mountain of kitchen woes.
So I promptly got to work. In due course, I had it done. I was so proud of myself that I got a "high" just seeing it work.
The lesson here for me is that I must walk through the heart of fear. Once it is done, I can see it was surprisingly easy. Thank God for that little "anger" on my part. What a rush for me.
The moral of the story is JUST DO IT, like Nike's slogan. From now on, I will try anything because I know in my heart I can do anything once I set my mind and heart to it.
And it all began with a little leaking tap. Sometimes in life, success comes in drips and draps.

No comments: