Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Your time is NOW







When I was 15, I looked forward to my 21st birthday. When I reached the highpoint in my life six years later, I set my sights on 24.
That, I thought, would be the age when I would be working and spending money that I had worked for. No more borrowing money from displeased parents or from other siblings who were equally broke as I was.
It was no fun growing up at times because the teen years came with a lot of limitations. You could just go anywhere you wanted because there were parents to contend with.
On top of that, there are places you can't go to. Worse still, those beautiful women you are eyeing are all older than you, and they don't like "kids".
Now, I am at an age, I can do almost anything legal and lawful I want to. On hindsight, I miss those days.
I know, I know, I am just being fickle and immature. With age comes wisdom. I wish I had the answers I have now, 25 years ago. The answer then as it is now, is to really enjoy the moment.
In other words, it is NOW. Not yesterday, not tomorrow but NOW, at this very moment. Our entire life consists of a hundred million nows. Now is the time to call your parents and tell them how much you love them.
They may think you are being weird but it's a nice kind of weirdness. They will get used to the new you.
Now is the time to eat that cholesterol-laden ice cream. Look, two scoops of ice cream won't kill you. Forget what those dietitians and doctors tell you. They don't know any better themselves.
Have you come across a whole roomful of 100-year-old doctors? Not recently? Or, ever. Now means happy for the moment. A moment in time, well lived lasts forever.
This may sound a little cryptic but truth prevails.
Hundreds of millions of ordinary people live lives of quiet desperation because they don't know any better. Not any more. I have told you so. The route is clear and wide.
Take a walk down that road to enlightenment. Don't wait till you have finally "made it" financially to start enjoying life. You can live it up even with empty pockets.
Do you need a million bucks to enjoy the splendour of the rising sun? Do you need Donald Trump's billions to relish the beauty of a stunning woman? Do you need anything to be kind?
Most of the best things in life are free. There have been songs written about this aspect of life. The Bible talks about it. Wise men have walked the earth for millennia, preaching about joys and happiness, all cost free.
And yet, we look back to yesterday for pleasantness, and look forward to tomorrow for brighter days.
Many of us out of a sense of misplaced urgency forgets about the Now and Today. This is the moment we are living in, breathing in, changing in. Every second that has passed is history. Every minute that is coming is future.
Both dimensions of occurrences cannot be replaced. The future can only be altered if the present is affected. That is simple logic.
So when you are in the zone, the present is your best bet.
Do it now, as someone once said. Do it here!
When someone tells you that your time has come, it means you can perform your best now; take your best shot now, give it your all now; live it up right now and NOW should become your only credo.
The world spins on the spindle that is labelled NOW. There's no tomorrow. The past is but a memory. Now is your ammo. Lock, load and shoot. There's no other time.
If you want further elaboration on NOW, look up the book The Power of NOW.

No comments: